Tags

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Markers

A few days ago HBS unveiled its Centennial Bell, a scaled-down replica of the new one which now resides in the cupola of Baker Library, itself replacing a bell which was sent back to its original home in a Russian monastery. The bell sits on a granite pedestal outside my dorm room window in a newly-constructed circular brick plaza that I have watched take shape over the last few weeks. This will presumably stand as a reminder of the occasion for many years to come, long after those of us who were present are no longer on the scene.

When I was nine years old I sat on a low stone wall with a number of other students as we watched our principal plant a maple sapling in honor of our elementary school's 25th anniversary. I remember the day well, and I remember that our principal said that in 25 years we would come by with our children and show them the then-towering tree standing in its small grass enclosure. It's been 17 years, and that tree is quite big now.

No comments: